  From: Stephen Moretti [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
  Sent: Monday, April 05, 2004 8:32 AM
  To: CF-Talk
  Subject: Re: user agent checking and spidering...

  Mark A. Kruger - CFG wrote:

  > Dave,
  >
  > That's not what I'm finding.  If you have a robots.txt file that says:
  >
  > disallow /search.cfm
  >
  > It will not index the search.cfm file from the root of the server. But
  > I cannot find anywhere where you can put in
  > something like this:
  >
  > disallow http://www.someothersite.com
  >
  > You see what I mean? The robot.txt file allows you to exclude pages on
  > THIS site that you don't want indexed.

  You'll need to do one robots.txt file in the root of each site you want
  to control robot access to. You cannot prevent a robot from spidering
  another site, but generally the robot will only be working on one URI at
  a time otherwise it would never complete a task.

  Check out http://www.robotstxt.org/wc/robots.html for details on the
  robots exclusion standard.  There is also some stuff in there regarding
  meta tags for robot exclusion.

  Hope this helps

  Regards

  Stephen