I am working with the whois in the Nettools from one of the DRKs.  Trying to
make a web-based tool for staff to easily query whois.

I don't know anything about whois but I'm finding when I query a name
registered with register.com on network solutions' whois I don't get a
result.  Is that correct behavior.

My real question is when I do a whois in Linux, near the top of the response
it says

[Querying whois.internic.net]
[Redirected to whois.networksolutions.com]
[Querying whois.networksolutions.com]
[whois.networksolutions.com]

Why and how does it know to do this or is networksolutions simply the first
stop after whois.internic.net?

Thanks for the insight.

-Nate

Nathan Smith  McKee, Voorhees & Sease, P.L.C.  515.288.3667