> can anyone suggest any user interface focused websites or user groups?
>
> i'm interested in researching application standards like:
>  -  button naming (Save or Submit? Edit or Modify?)
>  -  button placement (Save before Cancel or Cancel before Save?)
>  -  current trends (tabbed, explorer-like menus, etc)
>  -  UI critique of current software (MacOS, Windows) and websites

Although it's neither a website nor a user group, I'd strongly recommend
taking a look at Alan Cooper's book "About Face - The Essentials of User
Interface Design". You can find out more about it at http://www.cooper.com/.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/
voice: (202) 797-5496