string padded with spaces on the right.<br>
Use varchar instead.<br>
At 07:37 AM 8/14/00 -0700, Planet CF wrote:<br>
A 'Select' on a Sybase Database results in extra<br>
spaces being added to the data being selected (mostly<br>
spaces on the right). I really don't know as to why<br>
this is happenning.<br>
So what we do is use the TRIM function to get rid of<br>
those spaces. Now this has become some kind of a<br>
&quot;xtra&quot; in the application. Like... if somehow you<br>
forget to TRIM, you end up in errors which are not<br>
traceable to a specific code for a long time....<br>
kindof time consuming... and frustratiing too. <br>
There could be two solutions to this problem:<br>
1. Find out the reason for the 'spaces' that are being<br>
added and fix the problem at the root.<br>
2. Assuming that the problem cannot be fixed and one<br>
has to deal with TRIM, a better way of doing it (that<br>
comes to my mind) would be to write a custom tag that<br>
TRIM's all query data before sending it to the calling<br>
page. Is there a custom tag on the gallery, that<br>
already does this?<br>
Any suggestions or comments are welcome.<br>
Thanks<br>
Kedar Desai<br>
Differential Technologies<br>
Fairfax, VA<br>

-<font
Peter Theobald, Chief Technology Officer<br>
LiquidStreaming <a href="http://www.liquidstreaming.com/"
eudora="autourl">http://www.liquidstreaming.com</a><br>
[EMAIL PROTECTED]<br>
Phone 1.212.545.1232 Fax 1.212.679.8032<br>