Ok I'll try that. This option is a lot better than what I got working
below. I was going to combine those queries into a stored procedure and
call the procedure. ;-)

<cfquery name="qry_selectIntoTemp" datasource="#request.dsn#">
SELECT *
INTO ##temp2
FROM tbl_contacts
</cfquery>

<cfquery name="qry_updateTemp" datasource="#request.dsn#">
UPDATE ##temp2
SET companyName=ttoOfficeName
WHERE companyName is null and ttoOfficeName is not null
</cfquery>

<cfquery name="qry_getContacts" datasource="#request.dsn#">
SELECT companyName, ttoOfficeName
FROM ##temp2
ORDER BY convert(nvarchar, companyName)
</cfquery>