I have done it both ways, a separate network for the sql and webservers and
allowing SQL and CF to go over the "normal path".  After testing and
monitor, I saw no difference.

We have an 100MB network between the servers and switches.  But we have
only 15MB of bandwidth provided to us.  So this, in theory, leaves us with
85MB.  Keeping SQL and CF on the same network with the internet traffic did
not cause any slowdowns and network congestion.

Jacob