On May 6, 2004, at 9:25 PM, Tony Weeg wrote:

> am using sql server, I have aqua data studio, im using query analyzer
> right
>  now...
>
>  I don't have any other way of getting to the count, that's the
> problem there
>  isnt anything else in the vehicle table that links back to the
> company table
>  that has the guid that links back to the crm system, and its guid for
> the
>  company, and then the order based on the account number, and the
> sales order
>  details, based on the sales order number.
>
>  maybe I just cant do it with the current table layout.  its like, the
> first
>  part of the query is locking the result set in regardless of what else
>  matches...
>
>  heck...ill try your plan, its how I built the thing in the first place
>  tho'....cause
>  that's how I trouble shoot too :( so maybe again might work, ill try
> it
>  again.
>
>  is there any reason that the first join would be sooo commanding in
> regard
>  to its relentless match regardless of the where clause?

That's an interesting question -- an inner join is supposed to return
something if both side of the join are present - so what happens if the
first joins matches and the others don't -- do you have a match or
not--- hmmm

Unfortunately I don't have a db handy with enough relationships that I
can experiment with -- I have Sybase_ASE running on my Mac for complex
dbs -- common ancestry with SQL-Server.

Another option is to put the tests in the where clause with AND
operators

Dick