I think I may have found the source of my out of place db entries.

I was sorting my report on time of completion, but the timestamp field I was using only has precision down to the 10th of a second.  If I include the pk (numeric ID) field in the report and sort on that descending everything orders properly.

The jobs were sometimes finishing in the same 10th of a second and appearing out of order on the time sort.

I still wonder, though, whether multiple threads are involved when doing multiple cfhttp, cfpop etc. calls out of the same template like this.