Do you mean that queries are easier than arrays of structs. I hardly see
a difference. Creating a query takes more work, but displaying an array
takes more work too. So I think it's a question of personal prefference
(or what you need to do with it later).

> record, new and old user/date/time stamps are handled,

Your code handels old and new comments, but not comments without
datestamp. It also doesn't handle user names with spaces in it.

> handles comments with multiple lines, it'll be easier to
> display the contents of the query, it should work in both CF5
> and CFMX and anyone looking at it later can read the code!

The code for cf5 will work in cfmx too, but do you imply that you can't
write cfmx specific code and use new features because you want
everything to be cf5 compattible?

I admit that the code lacked comment, but I have a lot of work at the
moment and was writing this quickly to help him out.

Are you implying that we shouldn't use regexp, because other developers
my not understand it when they read it later? I think regexps is one of
the most powerfull tools when it comes to parsing. Just because some
people don't understand it, doesn't mean we shouldn't use it.