From: Tim Blair [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, May 19, 2004 5:22 AM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: RE: How does Amazon do that?

> When you look around Amazon.com, and show an interest in
> something, there's always a part of the page that says
> "people who bought this also bought that
> .."

The solution I came up with uses two tables - the product table (guess
what that is?) and a product_link table.  The product_link allows me to
store, well, links between products in an arbitrary way.

The link table has a 3-way PK of product ID, associated product ID and
product link "type" - the type is just a numeric field which represents
the type of link between the products which in my case includes "similar
too", "related too", "cross sell with" and "also bought".  The first
three are set via the admin.

The final field in the link table is a generic "data" field, which in
the case of the "also bought" type is a count.  In this way I can grab
the most popular "also bought" products with a nice simple query by
ordering by the data field.

The "also bought" data is not generated on-the-fly - it could take
waaaaaaaay too long to increment the appropriate counters for each
product link when someone checks out, so instead it's done nightly (or
whenever) on a schedule.

That's just one solution though...

Tim.

<CF_CodingContest mode="judging" newentries="false">
Maze Solver - http://tech.badpen.com/cfcontest/
RAWNET LTD - Internet, New Media and ebusiness Gurus.
WE'VE MOVED - for our new address, please visit our
website at http://www.rawnet.com/ or call us any time
on 0800 294 24 24.
This message may contain information which is legally
privileged and/or confidential.  If you are not the
intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any
unauthorised disclosure, copying, distribution or use
of this information is strictly prohibited. Such
notification notwithstanding, any comments, opinions,
information or conclusions expressed in this message
are those of the originator, not of rawnet limited,
unless otherwise explicitly and independently indicated
by an authorised representative of rawnet limited.