First, thx to the guys who helped me out earlier.  And because of their
help, I've gotten to the point where I've got another question.

A bit of background - I've got a view in Oracle that's got 21 columns and
1066 rows; I was told the number of rows is going to grow larger.  It
seemed to me CF was a bit slow to generate the XML, so I thought my area
of focus should change to generating the XML in Oracle.

As a result of that change in direction, I wrote the code below (using a
bit of SQLX) to generate XML directly from the database:

<cfsilent>
<cfparam name="strComma" type="string" default="">

<cfquery name="getGALColumns" datasource="#REQUEST.DataSource#" maxrows="1">
  select * from tivoli.gal_pc_data_view order by last_name
</cfquery>

<cfset strGALColumns = getGALColumns.columnlist>

<cfset strQuery = "select
  XMLElement(""GALElements"",XMLAgg(
    XMLElement(""entry"",">

    <cfloop index="columnname" list="#strGALColumns#">
      <cfset strQuery = strQuery & strComma &
"XMLElement(""#columnname#"",#columnname#)">
      <cfset strComma = ",">
    </cfloop>

<cfset strQuery = strQuery &
    ")
  )) as results
  from tivoli.gal_pc_data_view">

<cfquery name="getGALEntries" datasource="#REQUEST.DataSource#" maxrows="2">
  #preservesinglequotes(strQuery)#
</cfquery>

</cfsilent>
<cfoutput>#getGALEntries.results#</cfoutput>

The CFM script does not finish running; it cuts off directly in the middle
of the XML document.  What I just noticed though is that the total number
of characters generated was 64000; is this some magic number?  Is this
some built-in CF limit or is this an Oracle limit?

Side question: is there some way to generate an XML document without
filling up a single variable?

System config #1:
Solaris 8
Apache HTTPD 2.0.48
ColdFusion MX 6.1 (J2EE) / JRun 4

System config #2:
Solaris 8
Oracle 9i 9.2.0.4.0

--
Joe Tseng

Give a man a fish, he owes you one fish.
Teach a man to fish, you give up your monopoly on fisheries.