> From: stas
>
> I am using CFQUERY on a text ODBC datasource. One of the
> fields is zip code. When a zip contains a dash, as in
> 12345-1234, the field is returned as an empty string. What
> could be going on?

You have to remember a couple of things about the text ODBC driver (it
is very similar to the Excel ODBC in these manners)

It gathers what type a field is by sampling the first 10 rows (I think
it's 10) - the majority of the entries determine what the field type is

So, if your top 10 Zip codes all are in the 99999 format, then it's
numeric, and all non-numeric entries are "ignored"

I know it doesn't help knowing that, but you should know the way around
it - force the entries by making them into the format you require, then
it should work OK

HTH