Hello, I recently discovered that it was not possible to access files on a
mapped drive using the common cffile/cfdirectory tags.  I have set up ftp
and am accessing the directory structure via cfftp.  It works great, but I
have a few concerns:

would it be bad to set the initial connection name as an application
variable so that all users may share the same connection?  If not, I open
the initial connection upon user login - setting the connection name as a
session variable - works fine, not a big deal, but is there a point where
too many simultanious ftp socket connections can hinder the network
performance on a windows2000 box?  It should probably never go over 400
connections since both my  my session time out and ftp timeout are set to 20
minutes.

also,

is it possible to move remote files within the directory structure without
having to get the file and then put it back in the target directory?  It
wouldn't be a big deal if I had to because our network is tied together by a
100Mbps switch, and the files rarely scale over 30K, but why create
unecessary bandwidth overhead and disk I/O on the client side (webserver),
when I could send a simple command to accomplish it remotely.  If this is
possible to do, it seems to be undocumented by allaire or Ben Forta (unless
I overlooked something).  I know gui clients like cuteFTP or wsFTP allow for
this, so I presume this is in the protocol's RFC (could be wrong, maybe it's
a dirty shortcut that the gui clients use and CF is the 'compliant' one,
gasp).

one last thing,

I am currently using microsoft's ftp software that comes with IIS 5 on
windows2000 advanced server?  Is this fairly robust (don't flame me for
using such a marketing-centric cliche)?  Should I be using a 3rd party ftp
app?

Thanks friends, Adam.