At 10:51 6/1/2004 -0600, you wrote:
>What your asking for falls under the category of "Technical
>Writing".  When I was studying programming in school, the Technical
>Writing class was required.  It covered a number of points like knowing
>who the target audience is, how to present step by step instructions, etc.
>
>A quick google search for "technical writing" returns 7,090,000 results
>(http://www.google.ca/search?q=technical+writing&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&btnG=Google+Search&meta=).
>
>There should be enough in there to get you started or at least help you
>narrow down your search.
>
>HTH
>
>Shawn

The de facto standard in the OOP world for user requirement documentation
is UML or more specifically Use Cases.
Since this is a CF list I'm going to assume that you mean requirement docs
for a CF app.

Building Web Applications with UML by Jim Conallen is the book I read that
is specifically targeted for Web Applications.
There are some other books about UML from the AW library but none of the
others are specifically targeted for web applications.

The Use Cases should translate easily into a user manual as all the actors
(login types) and actions should are already defined before the system is
built out.

On a personal note, I strongly urge you to consider the time vs reward aspect.
While I recognize the need for some type of documentation, I question the
value of UML for small to medium sites especially if there is a learning
curve associated.