Tom,

I tried what you recommended,

I have tried your method below, and it didn't work quite right.  It still
returns a WDDX packet, but now all of the XML is escaped.  The XML file is
at http://www.graddiv.ucsb.edu/ssoNavigation.xml and I am calling the
below code with http://www.graddiv.ucsb.edu/sso.cfc?method=getNavigation

Here is the code now.  I tried it without using the closing /> and it had
no effect.

<cffunction name="getNavigation" access="remote"
  returntype="any" displayname="Get SSO navigation XML document"
  hint="This method retrieves an XML document used for SSO navigation bar."
  output="false">
    <cffile action="" file="D:\inetpub\wwwroot\ssoNavigation.xml" variable="myString" />
  <cfreturn toString(myString) />
</cffunction>

Totally bizarre.  Also tried restarting the CF service and clearing the
browser cache, no effect.

Thanks,

Chris