At my last job a pseudo-coworker created a mirroring system written in
PHP that was a custom HTTP daemon & client designed to distribute files
across multiple servers.

The core script was used to request a file download.  You'd have
multiple servers, e.g. server1, server2 and server3.  If Joe Bloggs
requested file23.txt from server2 but it was not present on that
server, the script checked each of the other servers to see if it was
there first.  I don't remember specifics (its been a busy few months),
but I think if the file was present on another server it would pipe
that URL to the user and also download the file to server2 so that
future requests would sent the local file.  It also had a central
download location that picked the nearest mirror to you (hard-coded)
rather than requiring you to remember to use
ftp.us25.mirror.mycompany.com.

That might not be exactly what you want, but it might give you some
ideas.
--
Damien McKenna - Web Developer - [EMAIL PROTECTED]
The Limu Company - http://www.thelimucompany.com/ - 407-804-1014