Thank you very much, sir! I'll try that.

>>if you want to manage servers

Actually not at all (as you can tell!), I just have my little 4 computer office (through a workgroup). Just happens that I want daily to modify a program's db on another computer, converting all the prices from dollars to pounds. Long story.

I assume cf can't login as Guest or whatever I am when XP starts up? Has to be a 2nd user? (If so, wouldn't all the permissions be in place already?)

>>need to create a user on the other machine with rights to access that file

The one part that I really don't understand is why I need to add the account and set permissions on the *other* computer. I would have thought that any account on my computer could access any of the available files on the network, and why not?, they were already explicitly shared. Seems redundant to have to add the account on the other computer, but maybe XP does that automatically for normal accounts and this one must be done manually? (But I don't see the names of my other computers under accounts on my computer.)

But how to permit an account to access a specific file? I just know the sharing tab via properties, but that is just for network sharing. Or the account details via computer management, but nothing there about sharing a specific file. I guess just make it a regular account and it works?

Thanks again. I'll try it all out. Hopefully this info will help someone later when they search ;-)