>I am attempting to create a connection in the ODBC page of the CF
>administrator to a MySQL database, which exists.

>My CF server runs as "nobody".
>My MySQL server runs as "mysql".

>my database name is "db_test".

>need to know the following:

>- what user needs to be set up in mySQL
>- is that user @% or @localhost
>- what username do you put in the username field in CF administrator?

You need to create a MySQL user - these are quite separate to UNIX users and are
internal to MySQL. Use something like this:

GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON db_test TO user@"localhost" IDENTIFIED BY "password"

This gives the user full access to the database from the local system. Replace
localhost with "%" if you want, this allows access from any machine on the
network and is obviously a security risk. Much better to specify a location by
IP address if the CF server is on a different machine.  The ALL PRIVILEGES is a
bit insecure, and you should restrict it before going into production.

You can connect to the database by using the mysql client:  mysql -u root -p
db_test

The username you put in CF admin is the same as the one you just set up - it is
the mySQL user, "user" in this case.

HTH

--------
Rob Keniger