> Oh yeah, in case it matters or not...this is a little development
> machine at my work and SQL server sits on the same machine as IIS. So
> when I type in "development.foobar.com" that's the same machine
> running CF, IIS and SQL...that's why I'm assuming that the DNS name
> will work...

I connect to SQL Server using a great shareware program called SQL Grinder (should be able to find it on versiontracker.com).  If your SQL Server is available externally and you can connect via Enterprise Manager, you should be able to connect with SQL Grinder (or any other generic DB management program).  Now this may *not* be the case if your SQL Server isn't really available externally over the internet or if you're using connectivity other than TCP/IP (named pipes, for example), so I'd check to make sure SQL Server is available via generic TCP/IP first.  Based on your description of things I'm a bit suspicious that the machine you're talking about is maybe available while you're in your office but isn't available outside your company's firewall ...

Matt