Matt,

Reverse engineering is not a copyright violation if you simply duplicate the
observed behavior of the protocol using something akin to a packet
sniffer--don't look at the Java code.  As for future enhancements to RDS?
Well, they actually crippled it for CFMX by removing timestamps for
individual files so that you can't use DWMX site synchronization with it.
Remember, they have to support the applications that exist that use it
(Homesite+, DWMX, CF Studio) so I doubt too much that any third-party
implementation would have too worry about it.  It might not be a public
protocol, but it is a published one--albiet internally.

Paul Kenney
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
916-212-4359