I am willing to invest some time in helping people on this list, but at
least they should listen. Use TO_DATE(). Let's say the date comes in a
dd/mm/yyyy format:

DON'T reformat it and when you insert it do
TO_DATE('#thedate#','DD/MM/YYYY'). Do that in ALL your queries (not just
UPDATE but also INSERT). And PLEASE USE CFQUERYPARAM. (I didn't type it
in the example because I'm tired of typing it)

The actual error is that you format it as a US date and Oracle is
expecting a European date.

Pascal