A given connection can only be servicing a single CF request at a time, so
if you have two concurrent requests, CF will open two connections to the DB.
It's slightly more overhead that is strictly needed (you could release
connections after each transaction, and regain them for the next).  However,
talking to the connection pool might actually be more overhead that opening
a couple extra connections to the DB, since RDBMSs are specifically designed
to service multiple clients.

I seem to recall that CF will close out connections from it's pool and
reopen new ones after a certain amount of <something>.  Don't know if it was
time, number of queries, or even whether it's still around.  Might have just
been back in the 4.5 days.

Cheers,
barneyb