Thanks for the idea, but I only have control of my site, not of the site that provides the research services, so there's no way for them to come back to me for authentication.  They rely on the site that the users go to (my site in this case) for the authentication. I have a call into them to see how this could ever possibly work (but it does,  because there are lots of other sites out there working with them) - but since it's Sunday I need to wait until tomorrow to hear back from them.

thanks
-reed