> CGI.REMOTE_USER
>
> this will only be available if anonymous access for the page/directory is
> off.

Heh heh, this message came through the day after our Computer Services guys
figured out the bit about unchecking the anonymous access option.  It's now
working--but...  Some users get a dialog box prompt for username and
password (and in some case for domain as well) popping up when they access
the index page of the directory where the anonymous access option was
unchecked.

Is this meant to happen (after all, this is CGI.REMOTE_USER not
CGI.AUTH_USER), and if so, why doesn't it happen with everybody?

We're running NT4 with Option Pack 4, and we're partway through an upgrade
to option pack 6 as part of a rollout of Outlook 2000 and MS Exchange
Server.  The thing is, I can't find any correlation between who's been
upgraded and who hasn't, and who gets the prompt and who doesn't, so it
doesn't seem as if that's the answer.

It's not something I can't live with if I have to, but I'd like to avoid
scaring the users if I can.  If anybody's got any idea what's going on here,
I'd be grateful for suggestions.

TIA,

Aidan.

-----