I think Brent's rpc library is overkill these days (ns4?) but maybe you need it. Pengoworks also has an api using an iframe. For new browsers, you can also just load scripts dynamically except in Safari (annoyingly won't act on them), or use httpRequest in Moz/IE Win/Safari. Apple developer has a good recent article on the latter.

I use dynamic scripts now where a small window pops up and loads the page if no dynamic script support, but was thinking to combine methods and use httpRequest but load scripts for IE Mac and Opera. Each method has it's uses and issues. For example, with dynamic scripts, you get back js (i.e., "alert('hi')" will simply run), which can be handy. With httpRequest, you get data, xml, html, whatever.