From: Jochem van Dieten [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, July 15, 2004 1:44 PM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: Re: BlueDragon.NET Technology Preview Release

Damien McKenna wrote:
> On Jul 15, 2004, at 12:57 PM, Vince Bonfanti wrote:
>>
>> BD.NET uses ADO.NET for all database access. I'm not sure what
you
>> mean by going "straight to ODBC".
>
> To connect to an ODBC source using ColdfusionMX you do this:
>
> cfquery -> JDBC -> ODBC

cfquery -> JDBC -> ODBC -> database

That is correct for an ODBC datasource. But if you have a native
JDBC driver it becomes:
cfquery -> JDBC -> database

You can cut out the additional layer. That is why ODBC
datasources should only be used as a last resort.

> Given that .NET is Java-based

It isn't.

> I presume it does something similar.

It can do something similar, but why would you want that? Just
like with CF it would only introduce an additional layer with
additional bugs and additional overhead:
.NET -> ADO.NET -> ODBC -> database

Use the native ADO.NET drivers where available:
.NET -> ADO.NET -> database

Jochem