hi, I need a little hand.

I have a voting website.
I want to prevent the users to do the multiple submissions.
I am saving their IPs in the DB when they vote.

Now I also want to send the cookie, so, if the cookie exists then no need to query the database and just show the message that multiple submission not allowed.

I am trying to set the cookie  like below code but its not setting up i think. there is no error
<cfcookie name="Gerrard" value="done" expires="never" secure="yes" domain="www.abc.com">

How can I setup the cookie and then read it later on?
Thanks