Haven't done this in a while, but I think you can effectively disable
back by trapping the events.

Then you could put your own back button in the window, that goes to the
prior page & passes whatever info to the onload event

As I think about it, another way is to have a hidden frame with some
global js variables that indicate the status of the fields (initialized
by the initial page load & modified within the pages js).

Then, on a browser back, the onLoad could interrogate the globals and
reset the field status)

HTH

Dick