From: Sean Corfield [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, July 23, 2004 12:18 AM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: Re: CFC Design for Multiple Person Roles

On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 19:39:17 -0500, Dawson, Michael
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Sean, this sounds interesting, but I'm unsure how to implement it.

User has-a Role array - so a User CFC has variables.roles which is an
array of Role CFCs. User does not extend anything.

Employee extends Role. Faculty extends Role. Student extends Role.
Role does not extend anything.

"is-a" means 'extends' (inheritance).

"has-a" means variables.xxx (composition / aggregation).

Inheritance should be rare in your programs - it should probably never
be the first choice for the relationship between two classes.
--
Sean A Corfield -- http://www.corfield.org/blog/

-- Margaret Atwood
  _____