From: Mark W. Breneman [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: 22 August 2000 00:14
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Stored Credit Card Numbers. Best practice.

I know the first tip I will hear is don't store CC numbers.  But, in this
case I have to store CC numbers.  So, I am looking for any tips I can get on
storing CC numbers.

Lets start off by assuming the "client" info will be stored in one database
and their CC numbers in another.  In this case both on the same MS SQL
server.  Currently I am encoding the CC numbers with (CF) Encrypt.  As I
understand this encryption can be broken with a "hacking" tool.  And with
all the Microsoft bugs in IIS regarding viewing the source code.  The (CF)
encrypt key in it is not very safe to begin with.

So, I am looking for a better method of encrypting my CC numbers.  Perhaps
MS SQL server can encode a field value?  Any ideas, tips?

Also, do I bother encrypting the relation ship id number between the two
databases?  (client info and client CC number)

Any tips or ideas on database design or MS SQL encoding stored procs are
welcome...

Thanks

Mark W. Breneman
-Cold Fusion Developer