  From: Jochem van Dieten [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
  Sent: Wednesday, July 28, 2004 5:28 AM
  To: CF-Talk
  Subject: Re: A script to Prevent SQL Injection: feedback/suggestions?

  Matt Robertson wrote:
  >> In both cases, I think you are better of with HTMLEditFormat() /
  >> HTMLCodeFormat().
  >
  > Interesting.  I ran that same code, removed the call to CodeCleaner
  > and changed the next line to
  >
  > <cfset variables.Cleanurl=htmleditformat(variables.ThisURLVar)>
  >
  > and got the same result: The difference in the code was detected.

  You are using CleanURL to detect differences in strings before
  and after cleaning. If there is a difference, you reject the post
  completely. That is a very safe way of using CleanURL, but I
  doubt that is the way it is used typically.

  People will use these types of cleaners to scrub unwanted
  elements from the input and let whatever comes out of the
  scrubbing be processed further, for instance inserted in the
  database. In that case you can design your attack in such a case
  that you don't submit the string you want in the database, but
  you submit a string that will be transformed to the string you want.
  Preventing that pretty much means escaping/removing all <, >, ',
  \ and ", at which point just using HTMLEditFormat() or
  HTMLCodeFormat() is the easy option.

  Jochem