The other problem is that using the referer URL is becoming less and less useful because software firewalls such as NIS block this information unless the user specifically configures NIS to let information be passed for your site's URL.  I'm going through this right now with a subscription site that validates access based upon the referer URL, and some of my users cannot get to it because NIS on their PCis blocking that information unless the people configure NIS to allow it, which is a real pain since most people will get the failure and start sending me emails instead of clicking on the link that says "having problems? click here."  What a mess.  If you want the write-up I have on configuring NIS, let me know.
-reed

> cgi.HTTP_REFERER does not seem to pick up domain names outside of the
> web site it runs from.
>
> I.E. if somone comes from google.com to my web site i cannot use cgi.
> HTTP_REFERER to find out where they came from.  The variable is blank.
> I was hoping is would be google.com.
>
> Anyone know of a way to get the domain name of where the user is
> coming
from?