> <cfset var120 = "a string">
> <cfset dtgVar = Val(Reverse(var120))>

> The value of dtgVar is 21 instead of 021, 021 is correct.
> I have workaround to circumvent the problem though.

Well given the code above, the value of dtgVar should be 0 since you
populated var120 with "a string", not "120"... since it's not numeric,
it would return 0... if you populated var 120 with "120" then the 2nd
line should produce 21, _not_ 021 as this is the expected behavior
afaik not just from CF but from other languages which have a val()
function. Val is a numeric function, the value "021" is a string, not
a numeric -- the numeric equivalent of "021" is 21. The function
NumberFormat() is used to convert the numeric value 21 into a
specified string format, such as "021". DecimalFormat() and
DollarFormat() do the same thing with pre-defined formats. So no...
not buggy... the code you want is
NumberFormat(Val(Reverse(var120)),000).

s. isaac dealey     954.927.5117
new epoch : isn't it time for a change?