From: Dirk Sieber [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, August 11, 2004 11:13 AM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: Determining physical length of text string (not char count)

Hello everyone,

We're trying to figure out if there's a way in CF to figure out the
actual, physical length of a string of text - eg, in pixels, inches,
whatever.

The issue - we need to be able to accept user data for a field, that
will eventually be printed to a PDF.  That PDF has strict specs as to
how long a line of text can be.  Of course, that'd be simple enough, if
it was printed in a fixed-width font... but it's not, and we don't have
the option of changing it.

So... I need to find a way to detemine how long a string of text will
be, given the font type, style, & point size.  Anyone have any ideas how
to do this from within CF?  (This is under MX, BTW).

Many thanks for any suggestions!
Dirk
  _____