I agree with Dov's post above.  From personal experience, instantiating the object is what is taking the most time.  If you are calling this object 50s in a page, your instantiating it 50 times and that's a lot of overhead.  I suggest caching the object in a persistant scope (application, session, server) and using that persistant object.  Now if you've created a CFC of this, you could just instantiate the object java.font.awt in your init() method (or whatever you call it when you instantiate the CFC) and cache that in your local CFC scope.

HTH,
.peter
maepub