This is my last stab at this problem. No other message boards have been able to help me.

First, the code...

getPlaylist.cfc
<cffunction access="remote" name="getNewPlaylist" output="no" returntype="query">
<cfargument name="clientID" type="string" required="yes">

<cfquery ....... name="IMPlaylist">
... removed for space saving...
</cfquery>

<cfif IMPlaylist.recordCount gt 0>
<cfoutput query="IMPlaylist">
<cfquery datasource="clp_dyn_signs" dbtype="odbc" username="..." password="...">
                   .. Removed for space saving
</cfquery>
</cfoutput>
<cfreturn IMPlaylist>
</cfif>

</cffunction>

frmMain.vb
Dim MyService As getPlaylist.getPlaylistService = New getPlaylist.getPlaylistService
Dim MyResult As getPlaylist.QueryBean

Try
   MyResult = MyService.getNewPlaylist(xmlParser.ClientID)
Catch ex As Exception
   Me.txtHistory.Text += "Error calling playListExists function (" & ex.Message & ")" + vbCrLf
   Log.AppendLog("Error calling playListExists function (" & ex.Message & ")")
End Try

Now the getPlaylist.cfc works fine from the Flash Remoting application that was built for this client, but when trying to get the query into VB.NET, the following error is returned
org.apache.axis.AxisFault : ; nested exception is:
coldfusion.xml.rpc.CFCInvocationException: [coldfusion.runtime.UDFMethod$InvalidReturnTypeException : The value returned from function getNewPlaylist() is not of type query.][]; nested exception is:
coldfusion.xml.rpc.CFCInvocationException: [org.apache.axis.AxisFault : ; nested exception is:
coldfusion.xml.rpc.CFCInvocationException: [coldfusion.runtime.UDFMethod$InvalidReturnTypeException : The value returned from function getNewPlaylist() is not of type query.][])

It does return a query (or QueryBean as XML sees it) and everything is types correctly in the .NET code.  I also put in a test function that just returned some dummy text to see if I was able to properly invoke functions of a CFC web method and it worked fine.  Just seems to be choking on sending back a query.

I know this is a convoluted question, so if anyone has had experience using CFC methods in .NET, I'd appreciate any help.

Steven Brownlee
[EMAIL PROTECTED]