Miriam -

So did you run the second query off of your database that somehow used the
key field from your search results in the WHERE statement?  And I hate to
show too much ignorance, but what would the sql WHERE clause look like?  I
saw someone else suggest WHERE key IN (#valuelist(key)#), but I couldn't get
that to work.  I'm not familiar with IN, so I wasn't sure if I was using it
properly, so mine looked like WHERE file_name IN (#valuelist(key)#).

Taking this one step further . . . and in an attempt to have my users only
select their criteria once . . . for Verity purposes, couldn't I throw all
of my fields (author, description, file name, date, etc.) into one of the
Custom fields (I've heard you can do that).

The user would make their selections on the search form, but each of their
selections would only be searched against that Custom field. For instance,
if the user selects "Smith" as an author and the word "Smith" appears in the
body of the document or in the description field, it would incorrectly be
chosen as part of the results during the Verity search. Then I could take
the results, use the key field, and go get the records that I want, further
defining the results by my query.    But when I throw the results in to a
query, WHERE author EQ "Smith" would weed out those erroneous results.

With approximately 1,000 documents, would this chug?

Thank you for your advice . . . BJS

Barbara J Smith Consulting
http://www.bjsconsulting.com
[EMAIL PROTECTED]