Actually, as I understand it, you have no legal responsibility to even
tell the surfer what stats you are collecting. Businesses spell out
their privacy policy in order put their potential customers at ease and
to get people to feel secure on their site. However, you are free to
harvest whatever information someone broadcasts at you. Your legal
issues would start when you begin giving and/or selling this information
to others. At that point, depending on the specific info in question,
you could indeed be violating several laws. Of course, this doesn't
address the moral obligations and the sort of generally accepted
behavior on the web that you might want to consider before deciding how
to use the info you collect. I think the internet is SUPPOSED to be a
place where you can enjoy some small measure of anonymity, so I'm
reluctant to ruin that for people, but I struggle constantly with the
cool things I know I could do with the information to which I have
access and my self-imposed responsibility to use it only in a manner I
would be comfortable with someone using the same information collected
from my surfing habits.

Of course, I also am no lawyer and I'm certainly no authority on
morality, but that is what I have been told and is how it has been
explained to me.

--Ferg

  _____