With a bit of experimenting...

  SELECT   CAST(DATE_FORMAT((MessageDate + INTERVAL 9 HOUR),'%d/%m/%Y') AS
CHAR) AS Purchase_Date,
           sum(ItemCount) AS TotalSales
  FROM     table

Works for my purposes this time, but it would still be nice to know why the
group by clause caused MySQL to convert the Date column to Binary data if
any one knows.

--
Jay