We're having a recurring problem where our MX server keeps hanging.

We have a datasource for an SQL database. Two seperate MX servers have
datasource connections to this same database. Periodically, the SQL server
will start blocking all requests. (This is something else that we are
looking into) When the blocking starts to happen on the db, the web requests
hang as they are waiting for their request to go through. At first, we did
not have a timeout on the queries and without fail, both MX servers would
hang to such an extent that they were essentially dead in the water. To try
and fix this situation, we have set a timeout on all db requests. We have
set the timeout to 60 seconds. We had hoped that this would solve the
situation, but we have just experienced the same problem again even with the
timeout specified.

Has anyone here seen this issue in the past? If yes, how did you resolve it?
Any input would be greatly appreciated as we are really at our wits end with
this!