You can't make CF do it, but you can certainly do that with
mod_rewrite.  These two rules should be pretty close, though they
might not be perfect.  (obviously assume your server has mod_rewrite
enabled):

RewriteEngine On
RewriteRule ^/cfmx(.*\.pl)$ /$1.pl [L]

The rewrite phase of Apache's request processing happens before it
hand off to JRun/CFMX, so the request will be "moved" out of the CFMX
context root before being sent to CF at all.

cheers,
barneyb

--
Barney Boisvert