I found a book on Database Design For Mere Mortals on Safari which
kind of helps too. Same author as the one of the book that Massimo
suggested (well, at least one of the authors).

As far as going RDBMS specific, right now most of my work is on SQL
Server, but I have to say sometimes the Books Online make me want to
tear what little hair I have off my head. They remind me of the
livedocs on CFML on Macromedia's site. So invaluable, yet so
frustrating!

George