> <joke>
> I was playing with my PocketPC on the train the other day,
> and I realized the most robust and stable applications on
> windows is Solitaire and Notepad - neither have froze a
> system or had a buffer overflow exploit - perhaps the
> Solitaire team should write the OS :-D </joke>

You might be joking, but I think that the Pocket PC is a pretty good thing
to bring up for comparison. I've had several Pocket PCs, from the original
iPaq 3600 to the XDA II, and at this point they're really very stable. I
think that Windows XP and 2000 are pretty stable too, but the Pocket PC OS
is much more reliable and rugged in many ways (aside from third-party
hardware drivers, which really suck), which goes to show what you can do
when you control nearly the entire environment, and limit what that
environment can do.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/
phone: 202-797-5496