Some ideas:

The "var" keyword really has no meaning outside of a method. I'm surprised
that it's actually not throwing an error on that - but it could be,
indirectly, a cause.

The variable name "get" may be legal in CF, but seems suspicious - I wonder
if you're hitting so weird incompatibility with it.  Have you tried another
variable name?

When you set a variable outside of a method it's assigned to the variables
scope - you might try specifically scoping the reference later (use
"variables.get" rather than just "get").

Jim Davis