James,

I have just written something similar,

the first stage of the page displays a nice message plus a meta refresh tag that has a
URL parameter to signal stage 2 then aborts.

(meta : <meta http-equiv="refresh" content="0; URL=#MetaRedirectURL#">)

the second stage starts the intensive processing and displays the results when ready.

I'd show you but its only on the development server which you cant see.

Jared.