On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 11:10:49 -0700, Jordan Michaels
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Thanks Paul and Dave for your feedback. I have a customer who has
> continually had problems with JRun. The latest of which has to do with a
> JRun Garbage Collecting memory leak - thus making his otherwise ample
> server run out of memory, lock-up and crash like a fireball from heaven. =P
>
> More info on the JRun GC problem can be found here:
> http://groups.google.com.sg/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&th=725ff76bd0a2f738&rnum=1
>
> However, even though the above thread has a solution to this problem,
> I'm wondering if it just might be better to go with a different JRE to
> help avoid further problems in the future.

Have you tried JRun Updater 4 yet? I haven't, but I know it does have
a lot of fixes in there, particularly with regards to leaks.

> If you don't mind me asking a couple more questions, are these
> production servers that you're running the updated JRE's on? What kind
> of load have you put them under? Has the JRE held out? Why did you
> switch in the first place?

Both development and production. Our production site gets about
500,000 users per day under peak load, and the JRE hasn't hiccupped
once. In fact, we haven't even restarted the instances (we're in a
clustered environment) since the upgrade a few months back. We
initially upgraded because we thought that the source of our
instability a few months back was JRE related (i.e., bad performance
tuning, etc.). It turns out, though, that it was really our database
drivers that were garbage, so we've rolled back to the CFMX Updater 3
Plus driver set from last fall, and we've been rock solid since. Even
the latest rollup Updater's drivers didn't solve our issues (Oracle
8i, 9i), though we are working with Macromedia engineers to try and
sort this out.

Regards,
Dave.