I'll second Dave's suggestion below to use WordPerfect. I too
struggled and eventually succeeded.  I had to produce several 100+
page reports with complex tables, headers, page numbering, and
page breaks.

The code produced by Word was very hard to edit, and Word threw
in a lot of "trash" code that wasn't necessary.  WordPerfect was
much easier to modify.  I also had trouble producing code that
would look identical in both Word and WordPerfect when viewed by
the user.  Because the WordPerfect code was so much cleaner, it
made this task much easier.
 - Good Luck

> > I have a need to manipulate RTF files with ColdFusion. While
> > I have been successful in working with RTF files in Word, and
> > then saving out for manipulation with CF, I need to be able to
> > do some things that are a bit more complicated.

> I've done this successfully many times in the past, building documents
> that even have grouped output across multiple pages. The secret to my
> success: Use WordPerfect instead of Word to generate the template.
> WordPerfect's RTF is much cleaner and simpler than Word's, and each
> major RTF control word is on a separate line. I ended up buying a copy
> of WordPerfect just for this purpose.

Clint R. Tillerson
Meteorologist/Programmer
Pacific Environmental Services, Inc.