From: B G <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2004 10:20:29 -0500
Subject: How does CF Mail Server Work?
To: CF-Talk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

My site sends a fairly large number of emails on a daily basis.  In addition
to newsletters that are sent to subscribers there are notifications of a
variety of types (message board, requests for info, registrations, etc)

As the newsletter subscriber list grows I am trying to manage it better by
unsubscribing users that have email addresses that are no longer valid.  I
have written a script that reads bounced messages, finds the email address,
matches it against certain tables and takes the appropriate action.  This
part works ok.  But I am noticing that all AOL users and large groups of
other domains are all rejected.  The bounced message doesn't say why.  Just
that delivery failed.

When I send an email via my personal account to an address (AOL) that was
rejected when it came from the web site it appears to be received ok.  The
two email addresses I am sending from have the same domain so I don't think
that that whole domain or IP has been blacklisted.

Also, in the event viewer I see errors like "Could not connect to domain
xxx.com" which I don't understand.

System is Win2000, CFMX 6.1 Enterprise using Windows mail server.

I realize this question is vague but the gist is this:  What is mail server
doing that needs to connect to a domain in order to delivery an email?
Could this be what is causing some mails to be rejected?  Could a specific
address be blocked (note:  messages that are bounced because of suspected
spam have a different message) ?