if you execute an incorrect query it will "unlock" the db

Access is notorious for this - if you can, switch it to MySQL....if not use
the bogus query workaround

-----Original Message-----
From: Mark Henderson [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, October 14, 2004 7:15 PM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: Spam:lock file issues on windows server (OT)

I've not long finished a site for a client. It's done exclusively in
coldfusion (fusebox 4) and MS Access on a Windows 2000 Professional Server
running IIS 5. The client is now having problems updating the site - more
specifically, they can't update the database because it's *always* locked.
And when I say always, I mean always, with the exception of a server reboot.

I'm moderately aware of such issues due to other projects, and this has
caused some inconvenience in the past. Usually it is a simple matter of
patience with the lock file clearing itself, but not in this case. I've
checked ownership on the database (administrator) and permissions on the
folder (read/write/delete/ which are appropriate).

I can overwrite the database via the network (since I'm part of the admin
group) but I still can't delete that lock file so others can do this via
FTP. One other point of interest, this is the content of the lock file
itself:
ETHOL        admin

...so it's only the administrator keeping the damned thing open (my
interpretation anyway).

Am I missing something here or is there a simple way of updating the
database via FTP while by-passing the lock file, or is there another way of
removing the lock file that doesn't entail a server reboot?

Has anybody encountered anything similar before because I'm really at a
loss, and the client is wanting to be able to do this?

TIA

Regards
Mark
  _____