We're using LVS and ldirectord, to do failover and loadbalancing in
our clusters.  It's all open source software (GPLed, I believe) so
there's no hard cost involved.  We haven't had any performance probles
at all; the machines just sit there sleeping.  We don't have huge
load, only a few hundred thousand hits per day, but when we were load
testing, they were still pretty much sleeping when balancing for a
pair of dual-proc Xeon app servers running full out.

cheers,
barneyb

--
Barney Boisvert
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

I currently have 6 GMail invites for the taking